Breaking News

President Buhari sworn in for a second term by acting chief justice of Nigeria. Newly sworn in Gover of Lagos assures residents of purposeful leadership

Tearful Andy Murray Announces plans to Retire from Tennis



Andy Murray – the man hugely regarded as the best British tennis player of his generation - is set to retire this year after more than a decade since he turned pro.
At an emotional press conference in Melbourne on Friday, a tearful Murray announced to the media that he plans to retire after this year's Wimbledon.
But he was quick to add that the enormity and gravity of the pain in his hip mean there is a big chance that next week's Australian Open could be the final tournament of his career.
It will be a rather crushing end to a stellar career, but amid the gloom, Murray says he is happy to have had such a wonderful career, never mind it is ending in the worst possible way.
Murray has had his fair share of injuries as a professional tennis player, yet not many could appreciate the gravity of his current hip injury.
The three-time Grand Slam winner told journalists in Melbourne on Friday that "I'm not sure I'm able to play through the pain for another four or five months," said the Scot.
33bc68ff5ecb9ff8ce8b8b4274c9f30b.jpg
"I want to get to Wimbledon and stop but I'm not certain I can do that."
However, 31-year-old Murray says he still intends to play his Australian Open first-round match against Spanish 22nd seed Roberto Bautista Agut next week.
Murray had surgery on his right hip last January and has played 14 matches since returning to the sport last June.
Murray ended his 2018 season in September to spend time working with rehabilitation expert Bill Knowles, but still looked short of the required level when he played world number one Novak Djokovic in an open practice match at Melbourne Park on Thursday.
In his news conference, Murray conceded: "I'm not feeling good, I've been struggling for a long time.
"I've been in a lot of pain for about 20 months now. I've pretty much done everything I could to try and get my hip feeling better and it hasn't helped loads.
"I'm in a better place than I was six months ago but I'm still in a lot of pain. I can still play to a level, but not a level I have played at."

No comments